Mallett’s first premises were at 36 Milsom Street in Bath, in 1865. Founded by John
Mallett, the company began to develop when his son, Walter Mallett, obtained the
leasehold for the disused Octagon Chapel in Bath, designed by Timothy Lightholer
in 1767. When Mallett took over the building, two wings were added either side of
the church for new showrooms and workshops were located to the basement.
Subsequently, following success at the 1908 Franco-British exhibition at Earl’s
Court, Walter Mallett decided to open a permanent shop in London, and took a lease
on 40 New Bond Street. In the 1950s the showrooms were redesigned by the architect
Raymond Erith: these interiors remain today as listed features and the only commercial
interiors still extant by Erith. In 1937 the business moved entirely to London and
its Bath showrooms were closed.
In 1945 Mallett was awarded a Royal Warrant from Queen Mary, and decades later royal visits were further received from the Queen Mother and HRH the Prince of Wales.
In 1961, by now under the directorship of Francis Egerton, Mallett opened a second showroom in Bourdon House in Mayfair, which had been the home of the late 2nd Duke of Westminster until 1953. Bourdon House remained Mallett’s second London showroom until the premises were sold in 2007.
During this time, in May 1991 and after 80 years at 40 New Bond Street, Mallett
moved to enlarged premises at 141 New Bond Street, with twenty rooms arranged over
five floors, where we remained until 2012. In 2003, Mallett established a presence
in New York, with a showroom opened on Madison Avenue and, in 2008, ‘Meta’ was launched
Finally, in 2012, the London premises of Mallett moved from New Bond Street to Dover Street, into the magnificent former home of the Bishop of Ely.