Highly Skilled Restoration
As well as dealing in antique furniture and works of art, Mallett has for many years had a restoration division with highly skilled craftsmen including cabinet makers, polishers and gilders restoring and conserving pieces for museums and private collectors. In 2007 Mallett merged this department into H J Hatfield & Sons Limited (Hatfields).
Hatfields is one of the longest established and highly respected restoration businesses in the world. Mallett owns 60% of the merged entity with the existing owner of Hatfields, Gurr Johns Limited, retaining 40% and the enlarged business can now offer high quality restoration across a wide range of skills.
John Ayres Hatfield founded his company in 1834, referring to himself as a 'bronzist.' His workshop was at 20 Cumberland Street in the London parish of St. Pancras and he lived next door at number 21. His brother Henry Charles, eight years younger, worked as John's bronze chaser, and it was his son Henry John who continued the business in 1881, being granted a Royal Warrant by Queen Victoria in 1882. However, Hatfield's had been working at Windsor Castle from November 1850. Among hundreds of invoices in the Windsor Archives, one letter-heading of the 1850s, the time that the present lot was made, serves to underline the company's capabilities: 'J. Hatfield, Bronze & Ormolu Manufacturer, Groups-Statues…and all kinds of Works of Art from Models, Designs or Originals cast and executed to the Antique.