The Octagon Chapel
Mallett's first premises were at 36 Milsom Street in Bath, in 1865. Founded by John Mallett, the company began to develop when his son, Walter Mallett, obtained the leasehold for the disused Octagon Chapel in Bath, designed by Timothy Lightholer in 1767.
When Mallett took over the building, two wings were added either side of the church for new showrooms and workshops were located to the basement.
New Bond Street
Mallett took a lease on 40 New Bond Street, a large glass-fronted shop in the heart of Mayfair.
In the 1950s the showrooms were redesigned by the architect Raymond Erith: these interiors remain today as listed features and the only commercial interiors still extant by Erith.
In 1937 the business moved entirely to London and its Bath showrooms were closed.
In 1945 Mallett was awarded a Royal Warrant from Queen Mary, in recognition for her preference for Mallett as the preferred Antiques Dealer to Her Majesty.
Decades later royal visits were further received from the Queen Mother and HRH the Prince of Wales.
The present Queen bought a tortoiseshell and gold bracket clock from Mallett in 1959 to present as a State Gift to the Shah or Persia.
In 1987, Mallett floated on the London Stock Exchange to become a Public Limited Company, owned by its shareholders.
In 1961, by now under the directorship of Francis Egerton, Mallett opened a second showroom in Bourdon House in Mayfair, which had been the home of the late 2nd Duke of Westminster until 1953. Bourdon House remained Mallett’s second London showroom until the premises were sold in 2007.
And, in May 1991 and after 80 years at 40 New Bond Street, Mallett moved to enlarged premises at 141 New Bond Street, with twenty rooms arranged over five floors, where we remained until 2012.
Growing the Mallett Business
In 2003, Mallett established a presence in New York, with a showroom opened on Madison Avenue.